Friday, October 22, 2010

Revising and Editing


While writing my papers, I feel that they are the best of my ability and have the best choice of words possible. So up until this year I never took the time to revise and edit a paper after I had already written it. I felt that it was a waste of time and I just wanted to be done as fast as possible with it. Little did I know that after reading my work, I find many mistakes not only in grammar, but run-on sentences and word choices as well.
                After actually revising one of my papers, I found my writing to be almost twice as good as the original copy was. I feel that the revising process has strengthened my writings immensely. After revising my papers, I find myself using bigger and better words to enhance my works. One other thing about the revising process that I enjoy is when we do our peer evaluations of other people’s papers. I like getting my writing critiqued by either the instructor or even other students because I only see what I think is incorrect and other people point out many other flaws in my writings that I cannot catch.
                I feel that after my revision of papers, my grades will go up because my writings are more studious and they will stand out more to the reader’s eye. But there are two things that I find myself having trouble with in the revision process, and that is run on sentences and word choice. I notice after re-reading my papers that I have multiple sentences that are run on or way too lengthy. I have trouble trying to cut them down and revising them. Also I find myself looking for better word choices a lot because I will have two or three sentences in row with the same word choice.
                Overall, I have nothing bad to say about the revision process because it does nothing but help out my writings. If I did not do the revision process my papers would remain with many simple mistakes that I do not pick up while I am writing the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment